Monday, April 02, 2007

Blood and Pizza

I may have mentioned that Angela and I are both on the South Beach Diet. I'm more or less in my maintenance phase now (at around 140 pounds), but the idea is that you try to abide by certain basic principles forever. So anyway, last Tuesday evening Angela asks me if I'd be willing to buy a pizza from somewhere. Pizza, being a very high-carb selection, has been pretty scarce around our house for the last few months. She suggested that Peace-A-Pizza might have some whole grain stuff on their menu. I looked them up online, and they don't.

I typed "whole grain pizza" Philadelphia into Google and eventually ran into Mom's Bake At Home Pizza, with a number of locations in the Philly metro area. It just so happens that there's a location pretty close to us, in Havertown. Check out this menu! Whole wheat crust available. A little more expensive, but hey-- 25 cents more a slice, on the large pizza. Isn't your health worth 25 cents extra? More tasty, too.

We opted for a large "Positively Pesto" (under "Special Pizzas"-- comes with chicken, sundried tomatoes, and ricotta), with whole wheat crust. The BOMB! One of the best pizzas I have ever tasted. Anywhere. Right out of my own oven. So now you know.

I guess this is a natural enough segue to my next topic-- my lipid panel. For those non-doctors out there, that means a test to find out if your blood has all the nasty stuff that gives you a heart attack. The whole reason I went on a diet this January and stuck with it is that my levels were all pretty bad as of last October, and back in early 2004 I had lost weight and seen the levels fall perfectly into line. Starting late in '04, after Abby was born, and through 2005, I gained it all back.

So anyway, after a little less than three months of dieting and having arrived within one pound of my "official" (for the purpose of the South Beach Diet website) goal weight of 140, I had blood drawn last week to allow my doctor to revisit the issue. Someone from the doctor's office called me on my cell today to let me know what the results were. All four numbers (triglycerides, total/LDL/HDL cholesterol) were "good"! Yay! Warm satisfied feelings inside. It's the combined warmth of "winning" plus the vague warm feeling of having a reduced risk of having a heart attack... some day?

1 Comments:

Blogger ramalara said...

1. Congrats on your lipid levels!

2. That pizza sounds awesome.

3. Your title is really, really gross.

That is all.

10:15 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home