Thursday, May 04, 2006

A little more vision

It's been a while since I last wrote; I've been working on removing wood from my eyes. I think I've succeeded in getting rid of some. Of course, the kicker is that when you remove things stuck in your eye, you soon see other things that need to be removed.

But anyway, my efforts have partly been rewarded with some renewed vision for my future. When I returned to public participation in Christianity, in early 2000, it was because I got a glimpse of a faith that could transform and liberate the poor and oppressed. Six years later, this vision still remains and has been elaborated considerably.

I'm still in the initial stages of this, but I am very excited about the efforts of a group called Servant Partners. I am friends with Jean-Luc and Shabrae Krieg, who are living amongst the poor in the Chimalhuacan section of Mexico City. Servant Partners has as its mission, the manifestation of God's liberating power in the massive slums in the megacities of the world.

I don't currently feel that God is calling me to live long term in any of these fields, but rather to be an enabler, a supporter, a cheerleader and promoter of these efforts. I want to pour gasoline on the fires these courageous, talented, passionate people are starting and tending. I want to give those rich in material things the opportunity to become rich spiritually, by partnering with these advocates of the poor in the U.S. and elsewhere (especially elsewhere, as real poverty, relatively speaking, is pretty rare here).

Stay tuned! I'm awaiting 3 of the 7 books that Servant Partners asks its trainees to read before they attend a 5-6 week "retreat" in a slum in Manila. I will be writing about these books, and about the development of my plans to form a ministry team at Woodland around these efforts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home