Thursday, March 16, 2006

Casting bread upon the waters

Ok, I'll come clean-- I don't know what this phrase (from the Hebrew scriptures I believe) means. I'll have to do a search to find the reference and figure out what it really means.

But anyway, in my current bleary-eyed state, I imagine that it has something to do with recklessly and sacrificially (and messily?) spreading yourself around, in a way that might please God. I just got finished posting a request for advice on a broad technical problem I'm facing at work, to a Yahoo discussion group of my work peers. So what, right? Well, there's a messiness to making this sort of call for help, and one of my big character flaws is a distaste for messes, verging on a phobia at times.

But why should you suffer alone? Why would you imagine that 10, 15, 20 strong problem-solving brains might not come up with a better solution than your one brain by itself?

They say that we're now in an age where the primary "commodity" being traded is information. What does this really mean? I think it means that everything--business, politics, religion, science--is now converging, and merging. And believe it or not, I think that this is tied to Jesus' saying that he who seeks to preserve his life will lose it, and vice versa. And that if a seed is to multiply, it must first "fall into the ground and die".

And--I'm getting excited now-- what is it for a *soul* (or putting it another way, a *self*) to die? It is for the boundaries of that self to disappear. If information can flow freely into and out of a territory, we say that territory has a porous boundary. The self-ness of the territory expands and contracts in a dynamic, mysterious way. The self dies, is born again, then dies again-- on and on.

If there is a moment of "conversion" (and I have a hard time believing there is only one moment, but looked at from a certain angle, there may be) to a regenerated self, a self that has won the prize of "eternal life", that moment might be the first time that a fortified, cut-off, and paranoid self/city-state "surrendered" to the Other, the unknown Outsider, and risked oblivion (no-state, no-self, no-where), in the hope of-- of what?

Of perhaps coming to *know* something *larger than the current self*. The damned-- they are just those who insist on fixing the boundaries permanently, who usurp the divine prerogative of knowing the extent of the Universe of Meaning, i.e. *their* Universe. We all know the eyes of those who mistrust and fear the Outside, who defend against everyone they encounter, in a tragic attempt to protect the sovereignty of their self. And we all know the eyes of the living, because they look right into us, with joyful expectation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home